Monday, August 30, 2010

Tummy woes....I will tackle you!

So I cut out my sweets and junk food at work (late night mindless snacking is not healthy) and worked on focusing on healthier snacks (not necessarily all fruits and veggies, just not all sugary sweets). And it was actually helpful to my blood sugar, which was an unintended but very welcome side effect. It wasn't dramatic, but a little is great, better than no change or negative change.

Only problem: I lost a ton of weight! I'm too skinny already and have a ton of weight and eating problems already because of my stupid, ill-functioning guts. I miss the part of my life when I was able to eat with no problems and the only issue I ever had was occasional lactose intollerance.

Now, I've lost 7 lbs in a couple weeks, my appetite is dwindling and I'm afraid of what's going to happen if I start eating junk again. The lack of appetite always happens anytime I lose any weight, so I know I just have to force myself to eat until I gain the weight back. But I'm having swallow issues again. And I gag on everything because my appetite is so poor right now. So I gave in and got fast food tonight, because I was craving a burger, and if that's what I was craving then that's what I was going to have. And I'm going to have the other half of it at work tonight.

And I also bought Glucerna shakes and snack bars. Which was incredibly EXPENSIVE! $30 for 2 6-packs of shakes, and 2 4-packs of bars. And that'll only last me about a week. Holy crap. But I've come to the conclusion that my body is going to cost me a lot of money :P

Hopefully I can do the Glucerna without as many blood sugar spikes/crashes and get my weight back up (I had been drinking Ensure Plus before I cut out the sugary snack at work, but those aren't balanced for people with blood sugar issues).

So, here's to hoping the next couple weeks will bring about some good change!!

-----

Tomorrow is my drug testing and fit test for my new job. Obviously I don't have anything to worry about the drug test ;) But I am hoping my body will keep it all together tomorrow long enough to pass a fit test. I've done several of these before and they're all a little different. There was one I did several years ago that was very detailed and very intense (they gave the same one to everybody, so it had to cover a lot, rather than just one department), and I'm certain if I was to take that again, I would have some problems (there's a pinch test that I couldn't pass before, and I know I would do even worse now...my fingers are just getting bad...I really want ring splints) and the one that required me to squat down and balance on my toes was hard then too because my toes are way too bendy, especially when I'm trying to balance on them for long periods of time with absolutely nothing to hold on to. But then the one I took a few months ago was nothing more than some range of motion, a leg/back strength test, and a transfer test (75lbs of free weight from one location to another, with good form). So we'll see what they want me to do tomorrow. If it's as intense as the first one, I may mention that I have EDS (if I can't "pass" part of it, like the pinch test) so that they don't try to put me into therapy or inappropriate braces to fix my problem (they will, if you can't pass part of the test). But we'll see what they're like first.

---

I had a curious thought the other day. I work in health care. Where we wash our hands and use hand sanitizer 12 million times a day. We're only allowed one ring/ring set per hand (mostly this is to allow people to wear their wedding rings/bands, but otherwise, they'd prefer the other stuff be left at home) and fake nails are not permitted. Since ring splints are a doctor prescribed orthotic device to provide better function, therefore, a workplace can't tell you to remove them (it would be like telling an amputee to remove their limb, or a patient with CP to remove their AFOs), what kind of issues will it create? Because I'll have a dozen or more "rings" to wash under each time I wash my hands (I know right now I need support on each DIP joint -oval 8 rings would be just fine with me, possibly PIP on middle fingers, both thumbs need support, and a buddy ring for my little (4th) fingers to keep them from flying out to the side as freely as they like to). It could be interesting.
All this said, I don't care what they make me do, as long as I can get them, because I know I would see a world of change if I had more support for my hands/fingers. And work is the place I need them most.

I'm done rambling....mostly because said hands have had enough.... :P

No comments:

Post a Comment