Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Let's play catch up, shall we

Been several days since I got the TEDs. Don't really know that I see any improvements or changes to be spoken of. Yesterday or the day before, after I took them off, my right knee hurt. As in, it didn't until they were off. I'm not sure if that was a coincidence or not, given anything can hurt in the blink of an eye with me. But otherwise, I haven't noticed anything major. But, I'm going to keep wearing them daily, that way when I talk to the doc about it, I'll at least have steady info to give her.

The Savella I've been taking for fibromyalgia is doing nothing so far. Well, nothing for pain management. It is, however, screwing up some kind of thermoregulation mechanism in my body to the point I'm about ready to pull my hair out. I can be hot, standing out in the sun, a warm light breeze comes by and I'm covered from head to toe with goosebumps and shivering for no reason. It also seems to make my legs feel weird in the same respect, I have goosebumps all the time if anything touches them or if there's any kind of temperature change (even a difference in sitting and walking). It's really obnoxious.

I've had two of 3 days of orientation/training for the new job. General orientation and clinical partner training both went pretty well except for the part where we had to sit all day in straight hard chairs that were too tall for me and pushed against my hips in an uncomfortable way. The first day, I could hardly walk by the time I left; I promptly came home and slept for two hours, and was still hurting and did pretty much nothing the entire next day (luckily, didn't have to be anywhere). The second day, I took a pillow, and moved around more. Still achy, and couldn't get comfortable. Finally gave in and took a nap just to forget about the discomfort for about 40 minutes and it helped greatly.
Tomorrow, I'm taking the pillow again. But there won't be much getting up and moving around because I'll be in front of a computer all day, instead of in lectures/videos. So that part's gonna suck. But then I'll have Friday off again to relax a little.

Then Friday afternoon, when Matt gets off work, we're driving home to see the grand opening of my mom's business!!!

The tachycardia I've been having the last couple weeks is really concerning to me. Every day I wonder more and more how long I can function with this much discomfort. I think about trying to get through nursing school and nursing clinicals and how I would possibly be able to keep up. I don't think I would. That thought scares me. I feel like I would be disappointing everyone. I've been holding back the pain and discomfort and everything I've been going through for so long that by the time I tell people how bad it is, I feel like they wouldn't believe me. Because I don't look sick and it's all come on too fast, right?
I just...I don't like letting people down. And I don't like letting myself down. I really do want to finish school. And I feel like sometimes I'm giving up too easily. But other times I wonder if I am. Am I really being fair to myself to keep pushing it and having less quality of life if I'm always in pain, and not focused because the tachycardia keeps getting worse?
I know life won't come to a halt while I try to figure this out, and that's fine, but I wish people would stop pressuring me while I thought about it in the meantime. The choices I make are hard. And I wish things were different, but they're not, so I have to think about the future, not just today, no matter how much I wish that were different.

I worry sometimes that Matt got a bad deal. That the girl he fell in love with isn't the girl he got stuck with. I know he could leave if he wanted to, and I tried telling him that once. But even though he loves me, and I know he does, I still feel like it's not fair to him. I'm not the same girl. Just in the last year I've changed a lot. I'm not as energized and I don't like going out to do things or going out late with friends and standing around talking in an uncomfortable room. Because I just don't have the energy for those things. I love to go out and do things with him. But I like planning ahead, that way I can plan ahead for my body too. Having a friend call at 8pm on Friday night when we're on the couch watching TV and ask if we want to grab a drink might seem like nothing. Except that I've already tackled a whole day. I don't have the energy left for a few more hours out with people. But how do I say no? Or even when I head over for dinner and he says we're going to meet some friends somewhere instead. That takes more energy. But....I hate having to tell him no. Because he doesn't get to see his friends much and he likes to socialize, and he always feels like he hasn't seen them enough, and he's a very social guy so he likes to go out and when he doesn't get to do that enough he feels couped up. It's hard to deny that.
It's hard to tell him that I feel like my body is going to implode and everything hurts and I might cry at the very thought of going out.
Or, even if I do have a little energy left, it'll all be wasted quickly, and I won't enjoy myself as much as if we had done something more low-key.
I hate having to plan life, but it helps so much now. And I don't like having to tell him that he has to do that just because of me now. It hardly seems fair.

....I think I should be done purging. That was unintentional. I think I'll go write fic while my hands are feeling good. Then early to bed tonight for an early day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment