Sunday, October 10, 2010

*flop* I will win! I will win! You cannot beat me!

My body is being a pain in my butt again. Had to go to the ED last night. At that point, it had been over 24 hours that I had been tachycardic, without any relief, not even for a minute or two. So went to get it checked out. Surprise, surprise, the doc found nothing to explain the cause of my discomfort (I don't mean that as a slam to the doc, I mean it as a pointed statement at my body). He ran pretty routine tests for heart and chest anomalies, sending a few to my GP (because they would have taken forever to wait for). I asked if he thought it could be EDS related, he said it's possible, but he wouldn't put it high up on the list (though, who does when they don't know about a disease, right). I don't know if it's EDS/dysautonomia/POTS related, but that would be my best guess. For now.

Either way, I ended up leaving with a new prescription. [insert sarcasm here] Just wonderful. I have a beta blocker. Which may lower my heart rate and make that more comfortable, but it might also lower my BP, which is not high at all (if it goes much lower, I'll have a whole new set of problems to deal with).

I was only given a low dose to begin with, and I took just half a tab tonight to see how I do to start out. I would rather start slow and deal with my heart rate high for a little longer than to have too much of this drug hit me too fast and end up with wicked side effects. And I'm going to call my doc tomorrow, to get the results of the last lab work from the ED and to make an appointment to see her. Hopefully she can see me tomorrow. If not, I'll settle for anytime this week.

Not looking forward to a hospital bill. Yuck. Even with insurance, I'm still going to be out a small chunk of change that I didn't really have.

Dear broken body, quit picking on me! I have a life to live and you're making things very difficult!

2 comments:

  1. Not to be a smart ass, but doesn't the 'T' in POTS stand for 'Tachycardia'? To me, that would seem like the most reasonable explanation.

    Are you on any medications for POTS?

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I've never actually been diagnosed with POTS or dysautonomia, so it's not like I can go in with tachycardia and tell them I have dysautonomia/POTS and expect direct results.
    I asked the ER doc if he thought it could be EDS related, and he said it's possible, but not high on his list (likely because most docs don't have a good working knowledge of EDS and related beasts).
    I asked my GP and she said it's possible as well, but she didn't want to make that call because it's not her area of expertise and would like for me to talk to my rheumatologist about it (I like that she's straightforward, if she doesn't know something, she'll find somebody who does, and she doesn't give up on me when I have a million weird things going on).
    I wasn't on anything for my heart or POTS before (had a full cardiac workup in February and it was all good), but the ED doc put me on a beta blocker, and my GP elected to keep me on it for now, since it has started to bring my heart rate down for a couple hours (a few hours after I take it, I'm in "normal" range again), which is better than nothing. But we can't go higher on the dose because my blood pressure runs too low as it is.
    I'm also on a cardiac event monitor for a few days to see if there's anything outstanding going on. We'll see what it shows.
    And then I see the rheumatologist tomorrow (Monday) to see what she says. It was a regular follow up, but now I have something interesting to discuss. Oh goody.

    Thanks bunches ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete