Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dizzy....weird kind of dizzy

Went to my family doc. She put me on an event monitor for a few days. It was uneventful. Pretty much what I expected. It showed some tachycardia, but nothing irregular, no funky rhythms. The doc offered to increase my beta blocker to help bring the heart rate down a little more, but then we would have to watch my blood pressure much closer because I'm so low already. I declined the med increase and mentioned that I was getting new compression stockings to help raise my blood pressure.
I'm hoping if I can bring my blood pressure up more, my heart rate my react accordingly. Just because I'm not uber dehydrated doesn't mean that that's not my problem. We brushed off dehydration as the cause for the tachy in the ED because I'm well hydrated. But I wonder if my volume is still low despite how well I drink. So I'm hoping compression stockings will help (as well as drinking until I float away).

Went to the rheumy this week. She wants me to see an endocrinologist. She wonders if I'm having hormone problems as the cause for my tachycardia. Specifically adrenaline. So, we'll see what this guy says.
And in the mean time, she gave me more drugs. Lyrica (on top of the Savella) for pain. She said this should be a bed time med, and it should help me sleep a little better, that the Savella would keep me awake if I took it too late. She also gave me Klonopin for sleep. Which is good because I'm not a big fan of traditional sleep aids...they come with downright scary side effects. Klonopin is a psych med (essentially) and she said would help me relax and help with the tossing and turning and over excited and vivid dreaming I've been having that keeps me awake. And it worked really well. I slept great last night. But it causes dizziness. LIKE WHOA. I checked my eyes, there's no nystagmus (just checking, you never know), and my blood pressure isn't causing this dizziness (and that's usually a different kind of dizzy anyway). I'm hoping it will go away soon, that it's just leftover from the night time dose. But I think it's time to buy a cane. My brain doesn't feel foggy like it normally does when I'm dizzy. I just feel horribly unsteady and unsafe when I'm up, like I have to be holding on to something if I want to make it to point B. So I think a cane for mornings would be helpful. I have no idea how I'm going to break that one to my boyfriend or the rest of my family. I know they're instantly going to tell me to get off the med or just take it earlier so that the side effects wear off in the morning or something. But I don't want to go off this. That was the best night sleep I've had in a while, even if it was drug-induced. And if I take it earlier, I'll have side effects in the evening instead of the morning.
I'm just looking for a good night sleep so I feel better during the day and some safety to go with it, because I'm afraid of falling. I realize I can get hurt when I do that. I fall frequently, but I am going to end up in a lot of trouble one of these days, and if it can be prevented, it should be.

I watched the time when I took it last night, and I'm watching the time now. I'm hoping as my body gets used to it, the time the side effects last will be less. But for now, I have to be careful not to fall. That's my biggest concern.

Actually, my biggest immediate concern is making breakfast. Without incident. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment