Friday, June 29, 2012

PT and bendy body issues

So, getting physio for my work-related back injury. And I was able to pick my location for PT, which was great, because I'm going where I used to go and have PTs who already know me and my crazy body. Which is necessary with such strange issues. The therapist I've been assigned to hasn't worked with me before, but it's a small facility, so he recognized me and knew I had some laxity (understatement). And bonus, he's actually had EDS and HMS patients before. Major score!

So, he's been awesome with my back. He's also taking my wonky shoulder on since it's being greatly effected by the upper back sprain (I rotated a couple vertebra in my upper T-spine area). I had a really bad day today because of the heat and the fact that I sat in a horrible chair for 12 hours yesterday. No matter what I did, the left shoulder was not being very cooperative. Flaring out, twisting weird, and on the verge of subluxing no matter what I did. So he changed my workout a few times when each one was too much for that shoulder (the right side, while still in pain from the strain, is very cooperative with whatever exercise thrown at it).

And then my favorite part: a massage on my upper back and shoulder, some stretching of the fascia to make the knots relax a bit (which hurts a little at first, but feels better once it all starts to stretch out), and ultrasound on my shoulder. I always feel so much better afterward. Not all knotted and kinked up and sore. Granted, it hurts again a few hours later, but, healing takes time.

Followup on Tuesday with the work comp doc, and I already have PT scheduled for that afternoon (back strains and spasms don't go away that quickly).

But for now, I have the weekend off, a haircut tomorrow (oh, scalp massage, how I love thee), and time to be a bum in the nice air conditioned house while it's wicked hot out.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment