Sunday, August 7, 2011

Happy EDS day to me, huh?

Yesterday was definitely a "flare" kind of day. I was having ridiculous issues all day. Luckily, not terribly painful ones, but mostly annoying. Like the fact that I dropped everything I picked up. Everything. I spent more time reaching to the floor for my pen, clipboard, alcohol wipes, shears, gloves, blankets, gowns, EVERYTHING. There wasn't a single thing I didn't promptly drop after picking it up. My fingers were just not having it. It's really frustrating because it wastes SO MUCH TIME and it's just plain embarrassing. I mean, nobody made fun or anything, but the fact that every single person on my floor watched me dropping things all day...and it's not like I can explain it. Some of them know I have a "bendy disease" or "connective tissue disorder" but I never really do much explaining after that because it took me a couple years to get the hang of it, there's no way I would expect anybody (even hospital nursing staff) to really understand why it was that I just couldn't seem to keep anything in my hands.
Oh, also spent a lot of the day tripping over my own feet. That was fun too. I came really close to meeting the floor a couple times. And every time I tripped, my shoes made that horrible screeching sound against the floor. So of course it got everyone's attention even if I wasn't in their line of sight to begin with. Again, not like I can explain that this disease I have that makes my tummy stupid (mostly, they know of my GI issues, because it comes up a lot when you share meals with people or talk about food) or my joints hurt (yup, carry a backpack full of braces and supports to work every day, and sometimes, they come out to play) is also what makes me ridiculously clumsy. More clumsy than I can explain away.

I was glad to see that my dad wasn't home when I got home last night because it gave me a good excuse to have a small drink by myself and just chill. Yeah, alcohol isn't conducive to the clumsy, but it sure is nice going down, and I do have to occasionally indulge in something, otherwise I'd go completely insane (-er?). So I got my cane, made a small drink, and plopped my ass on the couch for a couple hours. Then to bed, sleeping wonderfully (with my regular klonopin of course).

So, that was fun. I'm glad today is going better. Granted, I haven't done much today, which is also just fine. I just came in from some time outside with the puppy in the sunshine. I take my book out there and just bask in the yummy sun!

Now the puppy is napping (the heat always makes him zonk out), and I'm considering stretching out on the floor with a movie and a nap myself. Ah, what a lovely day off for me. I hope I still have plenty more of these after school starts. They are most definitely what keep me going strong!!

No comments:

Post a Comment