Friday, June 3, 2011

A quickie (and no, not that kind)

I really need to head to bed. But....

Slept in!!! The puppy was still asleep so I took full advantage!!! Went to talk to an advisor about school today. I was very glad to find out that not all of my sciences expired like I thought. I have until December to complete three classes with Bs or better (one of them is a non credit class, and only three sessions, but it's very necessary to pass an exam for med calc). And then I can apply for my program and finish taking all the "extras" until I get in and start my clinicals. I'm so excited!!!

***

Okay, so last night totally failed because my computer cord fried (literally) and I had to unplug it fast so that it wouldn't damage the rest of my already nutso computer. So I have a replacement cord (universal) now - which isn't magic, because the connection port is still shorted as well, so we still have some issues there. And I bought my netbook. I needed one for school (and travel) and this thing isn't so reliable anymore. So I'm sitting in front of two computer screens right now trying to catch up on stuff on one and load stuff on the other.

Which is why missing my post last night doesn't count. I started it, I just couldn't do anything after that :P

***

So today, TIRED. I started out sitting with an Alzheimer's patient who had fallen at the nursing home and had injuries that needed tending to. She was a HANDFUL! I couldn't be away from her for two seconds! Then our boss decided that there were too many high accuity patients so she staffed me up to the floor and we got a sitter to sit with my patient. Which meant I had to spend the rest of the day playing catch-up from where things couldn't get done before.
Finally going smoothly in the last hour of the shift (everyone was starting to catch their breath, and still run ragged). Then at shift change? A code blue!!! Folks, that's two code blues in one week on one unit, both at shift change! NUTS NUTS NUTS!!! I don't understand!
I got to observe more of this one than the last one though, and even got to jump in and take part (I was the first to note that the patient was diabetic and her sugar needed to be checked if she was status at the moment, so the sea parted long enough for me to get in there and do that). I was shaking once I stepped back. That's an intense place to be, in the middle of a code team with someone barely alive at your hands. But it was an interesting learning experience. (and believe me when I say, no matter how much I want to jump in and learn, I'm always sorry when it is at another human being's expense).

And now I'm sitting here catching up on stuff because my computer died last night and I had to go out today to get a replacement power cord to hold me over until I get a good computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment