Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Moving day!

So, I went to bed at a really stupidly late hour last night. I just couldn't seem to get off the computer. Stupid, really really stupid, I know. So I didn't make my 0430 workout this morning. I almost didn't make it at all....I somehow keep managing to turn off my cell phone alarm instead of hitting the snooze, and I forgot to turn up the volume on the clock radio last night so it was barely a whisper when it went off this morning. But I wasn't late for work.
And today was moving day. My boss came in early (in scrubs too! she's adorable, I swear) and greeted us all as we came into the conference room (to clock in) with "Happy Moving Day!!!". We questioned her sanity, then her caffeine consumption, then went on with it. Our floor (3E) is being remodeled. So we're moving down to 1E for a while - first rumor said 4 months, second said 1 year...I honestly don't know. 1E is much smaller than 3E so we capped after so many admissions yesterday and then proceeded to move every patient, their belongings, all of our things, and anything else that wasn't nailed down to the unit down 2 floors with us. And it was so beautifully done! Could not have gone better. We had our regularly scheduled team, then several others were brought in (our own staff, but it was their days off, so they were getting overtime! Bank!) for the sole purpose of doing the move. I was "working" today so I was strictly patient care. But the unit was emptying out fast, so my job was getting easier and easier as the morning went on. It took less than 5 hours to get our entire floor down to the smaller 1st floor and start setting up. Then I just had to get acclimated to a new floor. Which wasn't easy, and I'm sure I'll still be asking where things are when we leave, but it's smaller, which makes it a little easier. And then since we had an abundance of staff, I got to go home early. Only 2 hours, so I wasn't missing heaps of my paycheck, but that extra two hours helps so much!

Working with the sunburn today didn't feel fabulous. In fact, I didn't even wear a bra today, just a snug undershirt (benefit of being flat chested: nobody notices)....my shoulders seriously hurt. And I was a little sad when the big lunch party we had in celebration of a good move consisted of all foods that I couldn't eat (but were oh so fragrant, like PIZZA!). So I took my break later when there were fewer people around. For the most part, they're all starting to get to know that I have some health issues and that I eat the same foods all the time, but when a dozen or more people are crammed into a room eating pizza and sandwiches and macaroni salad and goodies from BreadCo....I just didn't want to be the only one sitting there eating my little container of pasta that I made the night before. Especially when there are still plenty of people who don't know me or my diet and would ask questions in the middle of the group. I don't like being put on the spot about my body.

So I had lunch later with a nurse who also resigned to eat her own lunch (she's trying to lose a handful of pounds, so she didn't want the junk food.....and boy did her salad look beautiful: greens, peppers, cucumber, tomato, goat cheese, balsamic vinegar....there was a lot going on in that dish!). It was much easier for both of us that way.

And both of my knees and hips were funky today. I'll be so glad when I can get proper braces and supports from PT/OT. I don't care if I look like robocop when I'm done as long as my joints are supported!

I have some writing to do and it's getting late, so I'm gonna peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment