Friday, May 27, 2011

sure, it only makes perfect sense

First day back at work in over two weeks (one was vacation, the other was an injury). Clock on at 0653, print my report sheet, and at 0710, someone coded. Seriously, not a great start to the shift. You know there's going to be bad juju all day when that's how it started. (and it was a ball buster of a day, I'll tell you that much)
Plus side, I've never seen a code team move SO quick. That was incredible. I wish I could say the efforts were worth the results: the lady is 89 years old, frail and weak, it took a very long time for her to be revived and she is in the ICU on a thousand medications and breathing via intubation and vent. She probably won't live much longer, and her last days won't be peaceful and happy ones. The crazy thing is that the tech was in there 15 minutes previous and her vitals were perfect. Just goes to show how fleeting life can be. I'm sad for her, because she didn't get to say her goodbyes or die at home or anything she might have wanted. It all ended too fast.

That was my perspective for the day while I worked. That you just have to keep living and enjoying every bit of life like it's your last day. And luckily my optimism rubbed off on a lady who was thinking about giving up, and on a lady who was just a little on the crazy side and confined to her room. We had some laughs today.

And this weekend, there will be float tripping! Everything is ready to go, all we have to do is chuck it all in the van in the morning. And I'm glad dad is driving because 0500 is not my friend, especially on a day off.

Peace out all. Happy Memorial weekend to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment