Thursday, March 3, 2011

ER visit

So, a little more than a month after my hospital stay for a migraine in January, I was back in the ER last night for yet another migraine. I know that a lot of the trouble was that I was dehydrated. Considering my body sucked the fluids down like a sponge (and I didn't even have the urge to pee until I was halfway through my second liter), I'm actually sure that was a major issue. Luckily, it didn't take any pain meds to get rid of the migraine. I had IV Benadryl and Reglan (which is helpful, but at the same time, it increases stomach/GI motility, which makes for some cramping and discomfort), so my body just got to chill and relax and reboot. I napped/rested for a while while the meds and fluids worked. And a few hours later I was back home. Where I took another sedative (my usual evening Klonopin) and slept like a baby all night. It was just what I needed. I called in sick to work today because I knew that after a migraine and that many sedatives I was going to need another day to get it all straight. I had to make sure that I would be able to eat and drink plenty (or at least as much as possible for me) today, which isn't always an option at work. And I was definitely still tired from the drugs. I slept until 8 (much to my puppy's dismay) and was dragging by 10. At 11:30 I was settling in for a nap. 2 hours later I felt a little more refreshed. Still slightly headachy today, but not so much that I'm bothered by it.

But, the matter still stands. I am not getting enough fluids or nutrition. I want to schedule an office visit with my GI doc soon to sit down and talk seriously about this. Because I think it would make a huge difference. I know Dr H still wants to do a couple more tests, and I know that reasonably, that's the responsible thing to do. But at the same time, I know I would feel so much better if I was well hydrated and had more nutrition intake daily (in addition to what I can manage by mouth). I want to have a very frank and clear discussion about this with him.

But until then, I need to call Dr M to follow up with her about my ER visit. I think an office visit is unnecessary. I just need to talk to her on the phone and check in, let her know what happened, how it was treated and how I feel now. And the fact that I still think the Botox treatment is working. I actually think part of the onset was also hormonal. I think that was the trigger, the dehydration and malnutrition were just the exacerbating factors.

And I have my first acupuncture treatment tomorrow. Which I'm really looking forward to. I'm hoping that if I can do this once or twice a month it will help with some generalized pain along with some of my stomach issues. I hope to have something good to report back to Dr H on Monday after the treatment.

Well, my puppy is snoring and I'm chilling. So it's time for me to bail for the night. ::hugs and smooches:: to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment