Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day in the life

I've been wanting to do this for a little while now. Not for anybody's benefit except my own, for later, to see how I grow and change over time. And I was just curious to see how my life looked on paper on a daily basis. So here goes...everything.

On a work day, the alarm clock goes off at 0450. This gives me time to hit the snooze at least twice (some mornings I need three times, rare mornings even 4, but that's pushing it on time). Since it's winter here right now, I sleep with my space heater on in my room to keep me comfortable at night and in the morning. I've learned this is better than any bed warmer, electric blanket, heating pad, stick-on warmers, layers of blankets or anything else. I keep it at the foot of my bed on a separate dresser so that it's far enough away that it can't burn me and that I can't kick it over (because I have one of the rare beasts that doesn't shut off when it tips).

Once I've hit the snooze a couple times (checking the time each time), I reach for my glasses and turn on my iPhone. I lay there in the dark and check my facebook, blog, email, maybe watch a youtube vid....just 10 minutes worth of mentally clearing the cobwebs from the evening drugs and slowly starting to move around. Then I put the phone away (back under my pillow, where it lives at night) and range my joints, to see what needs some work. Usually, it's hips, knees, ribs, wrist. Usually nothing worse than some subluxations that go back in with minor work. Once in a while, a really good total dislocation will slip in there on me and I have just lost precious minutes of my morning and the rest of my day is going to be spent in pain.

Once it's safe to get out of bed without fear of anything completely collapsing under me, I slowly stumble to turn the light on and shut the door. My puppy glares up at me from his kennel and lays his head back down. It's not light out yet, and he doesn't understand why I've turned the lights on. He never does. He tucks his head back down and tries to go back to sleep while I get ready for the day.

Scrubs, t-shirt (or undershirt of some kind) compression stockings, sneakers and socks, and a zip up hoodie. All of which I park in front of the space heater to don. Mmm, cozy warmth. The compression stockings are usually a trick in the morning because I'm not really awake that early and my fingers don't manage them all that well, but after some time and effort, they're up. And they help. So they're essential.

Meds and my water cup are sitting on my nightstand so that I see them first thing in the morning and at night. Morning meds are taken before I do anything else, that way I don't have to remember to come back for them later, because I never will.

I stick my phone and chapstick in my scrub pockets - the chapstick will stay there all day, the phone is temporary, on the off chance I get a call saying I'm not needed - and head for the puppy next.

He has 4 pad locks on his kennel because he's a beast and can give Houdini a run for his money. 4 locks later, me and puppy are headed out to pee. Once he pees and stretches some more, I can finally come in and go to the bathroom myself. I pee, then open the door so I can keep an eye on him (he's a different puppy every morning, I just never know who I'll get each day) . Deoderant, teeth, hair (usually down more than up lately, since the Botox injections have left me with tender spots at the base of my skull - worth it, and hey, my hair looks cute down). Then back outside. By now, puppy will realize he has to poo. Now he's really awake.

I go back to my room, get my backpack and things for work. Stick a Sierra Mist Natural in my backpack and play with puppy for a few more minutes before I have to leave. Then he goes back in the kennel for a while. I feel bad that he has to stay in there, but I only work 3 days a week, and dad gets home at 4 to let him out, so he's not in there my entire shift.

Get to work at 6:30. Stick the valuables in my locker (wallet, keys, meds), grab my cup and head down the hall with my backpack. With the new staffing grid, I never know where I'll be, so I've become nomadic. Whether as a sitter or on another floor, I carry my backpack to make sure I have whatever I'll need.

Today I was a sitter. An ICU sitter. Which is sometimes eventful and sometimes boring. Just depends on the day. I got report from the current sitter, got comfy (home for the next 12 hours) and familiarized myself with the patient via his online file. Then got familiar with the patient as he got fidgety. The reason for his anxiety was pinned down and the nurse was able to help ease his discomfort, helping him rest. So I was left to sit and watch TV. I always bring my Kindle and a notepad with me, but lately, the nausea has been so bad that I can't focus on writing or reading when I'm sitting at work. So I watch TV all day. And today was mostly chill. I watched a lot of TV, got along great with my nurse, and left in pretty much the same amount of pain I usually do for sitting that long (though I did get the comfy chair today).
I was proud of myself for managing to eat three times today though. That usually doesn't happen. I had my sierra mist like usual at the beginning of the day, 3/4 of a danish for late breakfast, half a cup of broccoli cheese soup for late lunch, and two hard boiled eggs for a snack in the evening. It's certainly not a lot of food, but it's not often for me to eat 3 times in one day. And I finished off most of 2 sierra mists and the melted ice in them. That's more than I usually have at work in a day.

And if I've made it through the day with joint pain, subluxations, aches, choking, and any other miscellaneous evils my body likes to throw my way, then I've done good, because at least I've made it through the day. Sometimes I'm ready to scream or cry at any second and the smile on my face is the most fake thing in the world, but I know that I'll be able to scream it out the second I get to my car, and that thought usually holds me over just long enough.

After work, pack up, hike out to my car, head home. Puppy is always happy to see me the second I walk in the door. I either shower or get changed and plop down on the couch with him. He makes a good snuggler at the end of the day. Sometime after 8, I take my evening meds, and park my cane close by. We sit and relax for the rest of the evening until my meds kick in and I go to bed early (no later than 9 if I have to work the next day, sometimes later if I don't). Puppy settles into his kennel. I settle into bed and lotion up and turn on the space heater. I say my prayers, get comfy and close my eyes. Another day will be upon me soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment