Friday, July 30, 2010

Dear neck pain, I hate you.

I woke up with a stiff neck yesterday afternoon. I stretched and twisted and it didn't loosen up....I had kinked it up while I was sleeping. No big deal. Everybody gets a crick in their neck occasionally. And it always goes away when I go to work because I get to moving around and it loosens it right up. Wonderful. No worries.

Except that it didn't get better at work last night. It just kept getting worse. It spread all the way up into my skull (not a headache, still just musculoskeletal pain, but in my head now, as well), and my jaw, and still neck and shoulder where it started. I was so bad that I had to go home from work early, my charge nurse insisted on it, she didn't think I was going to make it any longer.

Sleeping didn't help any either. Hot shower when I woke up felt good, soothing. But I'm still in pain. Can't move. No range of motion at all. Over the counter pain killers aren't doing much, I'm about ready to move onto the prescription stash. Which is fine, since I called into work...there was no way I was going to be able to work tonight.

I'm hoping if I just rest it and continue to mildly stretch every so often I'll be okay tomorrow. Otherwise, I'm going to find a clinic to get an x-ray. Because this is unusual pain. For me, for this location, take your pick. It just doesn't seem right.

For now, I've found a semi comfortable position, I've got a snack, and Beary Long squished under my arm. And Matt is bringing me something for supper later. And I've got 2 more episodes of Friends on this disc before I have to get up ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment